Wine, Tapas & Cava Tour
Spanish Wines at its finest at both sides of the outstanding mountain of Montserrat. You will discover two beautiful boutique wineries in the surroundings of Barcelona, and visit two ancient wine-making Catalan D.O.s, Penedès and Pla de Bages . The mountain of Montserrat, located between them, has a big impact on the climate conditions of both regions, so each is focused on a different type of wine according to these differences. Penedès is well-known for its cava, and Pla de Bages’ soil and climate are perfect for the elaboration of red wine.
This tour is perfect for you if… you believe, like we do, that the best way to truly know a country is by discovering its wine and food.
You will depart from central Barcelona and head to Finca Ca n’Estella, a small boutique winery built in the late 18th century. Your tour guide will explain you and show you how cava is produced and aged. Anna, the 3rd generation of winemakers in the state, will pop out to greet you during the visit as long as she is not promoting their wines around the world. Ca n’Estella has an immense national and international importance, and it has been awarded with over ninety international prizes in the last 10 years.
The breath-taking scenery, together with the morning sun and a fresh glass of premium cava can never be a bad way to start the tour! The best regional tapas will be offered to you on your first cava tasting. Ca N’Estella is full of history in every single room, from Romanesque ruins until a hidden passageway dating from Spanish Civil War times. While exploring the property, you will get to taste another of their premium cavas in a very special “room” – we do not want to spoil the surprise!
After discovering the best cavas in Penedès, we will drive by the feet of Montserrat mountain towards our second destination – Oller del Mas Cellar. Located in a former medieval castle, this winery is focused on producing organic red wine. There has been a wine-making tradition in this property for almost a thousand years, which had to be interrupted for half a century due to a devastating plague. The current owner, Frank, along with his father, restarted the tradition and made of wine-making his passion. Just like in Ca N’Estella, there is plenty of history in the property and in the family who has been running it for over a thousand years. Finally, you will get to taste three ecological wines of the state as well as an artisanal cheese platter. An excellent way to put an end to an unforgettable wine experience in Barcelona.
- Discover the history of Barcelona, Catalonia and its wines
- Visit two family-run boutique wineries
- Walk through Finca Ca N’Estella, a 19th century cellar
- Learn all about the wine-making and cava-making processes
- Visit the vineyards, production plant and barrels room of Oller del Mas Cellar
- Explore Oller del Mas, a 10th century castle
- Taste exclusive wines and cavas as well as tapas and snacks
Schedule & Itinerary
12:15 Meet at Plaza Catalunya, in front of Hard Rock Café
12:30 Tour departure
13:15 Welcome drink Rabetllat i Vidal Cava
13:30 Visit to the family’s home and the barrels cellar
14:15 Enjoy three cavas accompanied by tapas
15:00 Depart to Oller del Mas Castle
15:45 Guided visit to Oller del Mas vineyards, cellar, and castle
16:45 Wine tasting with cheese
18:00 Departure to Barcelona*
* The way back to Barcelona takes around 1 h – 1 h 30 minutes depending on traffic conditions
- Shared transportation in a comfortable air-conditioned bus
- Local English speaking guide
- Guided visit at Ca n’Estella cava cellar and private house
- Three Rabellat i Vidal premium cava tasting
- Regional tapas lunch
- Guided visit to Oller del Mas cellar, castle, and vines
- Three organic wine tasting
- Artisanal cheese tasting
- Possibility to purchase wine at both cellars (shipping available)
- Bottle of water, provided towards the end of the tour
- Maximum 16 people per guide
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Tips and gratuities
- Meeting point is Plaza Catalunya, 21 (by the Hard Rock Café).
- Tour starts at 12:30 pm, please be at the meeting point at least 15 minutes before the start of the tour.
- Once at the meeting point, please look for a bright pink umbrella.
- All tours depart on time to avoid delays. Please note that late arrivals or no shows may be rescheduled, but not refunded.
- There is a limit of 16 people per group, although transportation will be shared with other groups.
- You may book this as a private tour, also in other languages. Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- If you have reduced mobility, please contact us on email@example.com before booking. We do our best to welcome everyone on board!
- Comfortable clothes and shoes are recommended as there is some walking involved.
- Temperatures in Montserrat and the winery tend to be more extreme than in Barcelona. Please check the weather forecast the day before and dress accordingly.
- Infants aged 3 or less may join the tour free of charge, but note that no car seat or meals are provided.
- All dietary allergies or restrictions are catered for. Please inform us upon booking.
Plaça Catalunya, 21