Montserrat, Food & Wine
Enjoy the Montserrat Food & Wine Tour, a relaxed day in the most amazing Catalan scenery.
Our Barcelona wine tours are a perfect balance of wine, culture and gastronomy. Discover the Sanctuary located in the magical mountain of Montserrat while you learn all its stories and secrets. Enjoy a true Catalan multi-course meal just like a local. Learn all about Spanish wines and sample the best products of a small, organic, family-owned state winery: Oller del Mas.
This tour is perfect for you if… you want to slowly discover the insights of the local culture, history, gastronomy and wines. Making tourism the “Spanish way”!
The tour begins in Barcelona, Plaza Catalunya (by the Hard Rock Café), from where we take a bus to the Monastery and National Park of Montserrat, just an hour drive from the city center. All along the route you will be introduced by your guide to the history, culture and the geography of Barcelona, as well as any detail you wish to know about Catalonia and Spain and its culture. As you approach the spiritual mountain of Montserrat you will be able to admire its unique shapes and beautiful landscapes while you listen to mystical stories that surround this magical place. Montserrat is the most important mountain of Catalonia, where nature, religion and culture meet together.
Once you arrive to your first destination, your guide will lead you to the main highlights of the Monastery and the mountain. These include the Basilica and the best spots to admire the views and take pictures. After the guided visit, you will have some free time to explore the site on your own. You might choose to explore the Monastery further, ride the funicular which takes you to 3000ft above sea level, offering breathtaking 360º views, take the funicular which leads you to the Holy Cave. Or even discover the art hidden in the Museum of Montserrat, which hosts paintings by Caravaggio, Dalí or Picasso. The possibilities are almost endless, and your tour guide will give their personal recommendations according to your interests.
Afterwards you will be transported to Oller del Mas, located just under half an hour drive away from the Monastery. Oller del Mas cellar is a top-rated winery in D.O. Pla de Bages wine-making region, and it is located in a 10th century castle. Set at the feet of Montserrat, from Oller del Mas you will be able to understand the mountain better: “Montserrat” means “serrated mountain”, a feature that can only be appreciated from the distance.
Before visiting the winery, you will stop at Oller del Mas country club to enjoy a multi-course traditional local menu with wine. In the afternoon you will walk the short way separating the restaurant and the vineyards.
You will be introduced to the amazing world of wine-making by your tour guide – you will visit the vineyards, the production plant and the old cellar, located inside the castle. It will feel like being in your very own castle – we are the only international company bringing international visitors to Oller del Mas. Last but not least, you will proceed to the tasting room, where you will sample three ecological wines produced in the property.
During the way back to Barcelona, you will be shown some of the historical buildings of Manresa as well as a stunning last view of the massif of Montserrat. Shortly after, you will be able to enjoy the full Spanish experience by having a little siesta, if you wish.
- Visit the spiritual natural surroundings in Montserrat’s National Park and Sanctuary
- Walk along Montserrat the “magic mountain” where nature, religion, history and Catalan identity meet together.
- Enjoy the spectacular views and feel the spirituality that Montserrat has to offer
- See “La Moreneta”, the black Madonna of Montserrat’s Basilica
- Enjoy a multi-couse meal at Oller del Mas restaurant
- Tour through Oller del Mas, an ancient castle and taste their unique wines
Schedule and itinerary
08:45 Departure from Plaza Catalunya, 21 (in front of Hard Rock Café)
10:00 Guided tour of Montserrat, the magical mountain
11:15 Free time at Montserrat
13:20 Meet with your tour guide again
13:35 Departure to Oller del Mas winery
14:15 Multi-course Catalan menu in Oller del Mas club house
15:45 Extended visit to Oller del Mas Winery
16:45 Wine tasting (3 ecological wines)
18:00 Departure to Barcelona
19:00 – 19:30 Arrival to Barcelona
* Please note that this schedule is approximate.
- Shared transportation in a comfortable air-conditioned bus
- Professional English speaking guide
- Montserrat’s National Park and Sanctuary
- Multi-course traditional Catalan menu with wine
- Entrance fee to Oller del Mas Cellar
- Guided visit through the winery, the castle and the vines
- Wine tasting (3 organic wines)
- Maximum of 16 people per guide
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Tips and gratuities
- Meeting point is Plaza Catalunya, 21 (by the Hard Rock Café).
- Tour starts at 8:30 am, please be at the meeting point at least 15 minutes before the start of the tour.
- Once at the meeting point, please look for a bright pink umbrella.
- All tours depart on time to avoid delays. Please note that late arrivals or no shows may be rescheduled, but not refunded.
- There is a limit of 16 people per group, although transportation will be shared with other groups.
- You may book this as a private tour, also in other languages. Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- If you have reduced mobility, please contact us on email@example.com before booking. We do our best to welcome everyone on board!
- Comfortable clothes and shoes are recommended as there is some walking involved.
- Temperatures in Montserrat and the winery tend to be more extreme than in Barcelona. Please check the weather forecast the day before and dress accordingly.
- Infants aged 3 or less may join the tour free of charge, but note that no car seat or meals are provided.
- All dietary allergies or restrictions are catered for. Please let us know upon booking.
Plaça Catalunya, 21