Wine, Tapas & Cava Tour
Spanish Wines at its finest at both sides of the outstanding mountain of Montserrat. You will discover two beautiful boutique wineries in the surroundings of Barcelona, and visit two ancient wine-making Catalan D.O.s, Penedès and Pla de Bages . The mountain of Montserrat, located between them, has a big impact on the climate conditions of both regions, so each is focused on a different type of wine according to these differences. Penedès is well-known for its cava, and Pla de Bages’ soil and climate are perfect for the elaboration of red wine.
This tour is perfect for you if… you share our motto – we believe that the best way to truly know a country is by discovering its wine and food.
You will depart from central Barcelona and head to Finca Ca n’Estella, a small boutique winery built in the late 18th century. Your tour guide will explain you and show you how cava is produced and aged. Anna, the 3rd generation of winemakers in the state, will pop out to greet you during the visit as long as she is not promoting their wines around the world. Ca n’Estella has an immense national and international importance, and it has been awarded with over ninety international prizes in the last 10 years.
The breath-taking scenery, together with the morning sun and a fresh glass of premium cava can never be a bad way to start the tour! The best regional tapas will be offered to you on your first cava tasting. Ca N’Estella is full of history in every single room, from Romanesque ruins until a hidden passageway dating from Spanish Civil War times. After touring the property, you will get to taste another of their premium cavas in a very special “room” – we do not want to spoil the surprise!
After discovering the best cavas in Penedès, we will drive by the feet of Montserrat mountain towards our second destination – Oller del Mas Cellar. Located in a former medieval castle, this winery is focused on producing organic red wine. There has been a wine-making tradition in this property for almost a thousand years, which had to be interrupted for half a century due to a devastating plague. The current owner, Fran, along with his father, restarted the tradition and made of wine-making his passion. Just like in Ca N’Estella, there is plenty of history in the property and in the family who has been running it for over a thousand years. Finally, you will get to taste the best three products of the state as well as an artisanal cheese platter. An excellent way to put an end to an unforgettable wine experience in Barcelona.
- Discover the history of Barcelona, Catalonia and its wines
- Visit two family-run boutique wineries
- Walk through Finca Ca N’Estella, a 19th century cellar
- Learn all about the wine-making and cava-making processes
- Visit the vineyards, production plant and barrels room of Oller del Mas Cellar
- Explore Oller del Mas, a 10th century castle
- Taste premium wines and cavas as well as tapas and snacks
Schedule & Itinerary
12:15 Meet at Plaza Catalunya, in front of Hard Rock Café
13:15 Welcome drink Rabetllat i Vidal Cava
13:30 Visit to the family’s home and the barrels cellar
14:15 Enjoy three cavas accompanied by tapas
15:00 Depart to Oller del Mas Castle
16:45 Guided visit to Oller del Mas vineyards, cellar, and castle
16:45 Wine tasting with cheese
18:00 Departure to Barcelona**
* Please note that this schedule is approximate
** The way back to Barcelona takes around 1 h – 1 h 30 minutes depending on traffic conditions
- Transportation in a comfortable air-conditioned bus or minivan
- Local English speaking guide
- Guided visit at Ca n’Estella cava cellar and private house
- Three Rabellat i Vidal premium cava tasting
- Regional tapas lunch
- Guided visit to Oller del Mas cellar, castle, and vines
- Three organic wine tasting
- Artisanal cheese tasting
- Possibility to purchase wine at both cellars and ship it to your home
- Bottle of water, provided towards the end of the tour
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Tips and gratuities
- The meeting point is Plaza Catalunya, 21 (in front of the Hard Rock Cafe)
- There will be someone holding a bright pink umbrella
- The tour starts at 12:30 pm, so please be there 15 minutes before the start of the tour
- Our tours depart on time to avoid delays. Please note that late shows or no shows are not refunded.
- There is a limit of 15 people per group, although transportation may be shared with other groups.
- In Montserrat it is always slightly colder in winter and hotter in summer in comparison with Barcelona, so please bring suitable clothing for the weather.
- Infants aged 3 or less may join the tour free of charge, but not that no car seat or meals are provided.
- We cater for any dietary allergies or restrictions.
Plaça Catalunya, 21